Thursday, May 21, 2009

A few sketches...in public? or not?

Okay, so I didn't draw EVERY day. I did draw some though; and, in public-sort of.

Tuesday afternoon my husband and I decided we needed to get away for an afternoon in Galveston. So, that afternoon we went to the grocery store to load up on goodies to take in the cooler. I stayed in the car and sketched. (I was covered in paint anyway...too embarrassed to go in.)


Does it count as drawing in public if you're in the car in a parking lot where no one can look over your shoulder?

Wednesday we headed off to Galveston Island. We had a wonderfully relaxing day. We walked, we went to the Strand, we sat around listening to the waves. It took me awhile to decide what I would draw. Looking out at the water didn't seem challenging enough with the straight line of the horizon, unless I concentrated on the water, which actually seemed too much for me. I went with drawing my husband, which many would say I could do anytime (my mom did say that), but really I can't because he's never still! This sketch(ten minutes, maybe?)was torture for him.
By the time I got out the sketchbook, we had both had enough rays, so we were sitting with our backs to the sun. That is a white t-shirt on my husband's head. He didn't want his neck or ears to burn. I think I'll use this as EDM challenge #176, Draw something summer.I guess this is done in public, but does it count if the person nearest you is 200 feet away?

8 comments:

  1. Of course it counts!! I do sketches from my car occasionally. (this was my favorite from my blog: http://findingmywings-leighbunkin.blogspot.com/2009/04/waitingview-from-my-car.html).Anyway, I love your sketches.They are wonderful! I wanted to sign up to follow your blog but your link isn't working to do that. Love what you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Leigh. Of course it counts! The more camouflage the better, as far as I am concerned. I love the beach drawing - it really gives you a sense of place. Proof? The bird in the front - and on the pole - is a Laughing Gull (in breeding plumage), for sure. My bet is that the bird in the back is a Ruddy Turnstone. And the fast one in the front - a sandpiper of some sort (a peep). Now I need to go treat this sunburn..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both very much! Drawing in public makes me very nervous. Leigh, your parking lot drawings are great! I wish I had had more time to add shadows!
    Dan, wow! I didn't even know what they were, but looking them up on google, I think you are right!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Raena,
    great images!
    And I concur with Dan and Leigh that sketching from your car does count as public sketching. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your moleskine page. your sketches are great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much Wil and PatchworkGirl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Raena - where are you?? The internet feels so empty...empty...empty (hear that echo?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your parked cars reminded me that I did something similar a couple of years ago. I don't think i could count those as being 'in public' because it was a private car-park and there was no one else in sight, let alone 200 yards away! Perhaps I shall look them out and post them.
    I think you can certainly call sketching 'in public' if you are in a public place and can see even one person in the distance!
    Your sketches are great - I am looking forward to more of them.

    ReplyDelete