Friday, August 14, 2009

I hit the road...



I just returned from a quick vacation to North Carolina to see my husband's family. It was last minute and I had planned to post from the road. There were all of these grand ideas floating around in my head: I would draw for hours every day and have tons of sketches to post at night. I took the laptop, the camera, all the cords...everything I would need to post without a scanner. ...But we can all see how far I got with that!

We went by car and hit seven states (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, and North Carolina). 2600 miles, round trip. Since I get car sick easily, I didn't last long on sketching from the car. Though it was a nice thought. When we got to our hotels, I was exhausted and my husband needed to use the computer to figure out more of the trip. So I didn't fiddle with my blog, or even look at others.

We finally arrived and went to visit Grandma O. After much talking and catching up she said she had a CD she wanted us to hear. About 10 minutes into the CD, Grandma was snoring in her chair and a few minutes later my husband was too. I was afraid Grandma would wake up to me staring at her, so I attempted a sketch of my husband. It was done on the back of an envelope, very quickly. The sketches of him are a bit wonky because he moves a lot-even in his sleep!



I do wish I had known I would be traveling a little sooner. There are so many of you that I would have tried to meet up with and I'm bummed that I was so close and didn't have time! I had a fantastic time though and have more sketches to post and a lot to color.

And if anyone has any tips on how to get a better scan from a moleskine sketchbook, I'm open to suggestions!

6 comments:

  1. I've had a great time, and a few chuckles, reading through your post. I'm glad to have found you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Opps...I meant reading through your BLOG (not just your post!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know about the Moleskin but, for my own pencil sketches, I save them on the computer under My Photos. They are usually very light, so I just click on the photo in the folder, then click "Quick Fix", and that will darken it. Also, when I save the photos, there is a place where you can rotate, adjust color, etc. A Premium account will let you do more. If you have Photoshop, that might help. I don't have all those extras, though.
    Your drawings so show up very well, though, as they are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These two images are really nice. I would have loved to seen a drawing of grandma O!! (hilarious story about her sleep habits. )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you!

    Resi, thank you so much! And now that I've seen your blog, I am very happy too! Nice work!

    Cecelia, I think it would help if I had photoshop! I do tweek the contrast, etc, on my scanner, and in Painter, but it seems like I either have a washed out sketch, or a very yellow one!

    Thank you Will! I am regretting not getting one of Grandma O snoring as several people have now told me that I should have!!

    ReplyDelete